The CXC “Nordic Rocks for Schools” program, now in its 4th season, was developed to introduce new generations of children in kindergarten to 8th grade to the excitement found in the sport of cross country skiing.
During the first three “Nordic Rocks” seasons, over 10,000 children in 64 different Midwest schools participated in the program.
This year is special, not only will over 30 schools in the Midwest be getting skis, the program has partnered with the National Winter Sports Education Foundation and the United States Ski and Snowboard Association to enroll an additional 35 schools from California to Vermont into the program.
“It is truly exciting to see children experience skiing for the first time; and then telling their parents and siblings about the fun they had sliding, gliding, and playing on skis.” – commented Bruce Manske, CXC Community Olympic Program Director.
With the expansion of the “Nordic Rocks” program beyond the Midwest, 20,000 more children will experience the joys and benefits found in skiing with their friends and teachers during their school day.
NEW ADDITIONS TO THE PROGRAM FOR THE 2016-17 SEASON
– Winterquist Elementary (Esko, MN)
– Otter Tail Nordic Ski Club (Fergus Falls, MN)
– Lake of the Woods Nordic Ski Club (Lake of the Woods, MN)
– Lake Harriett Community School (Minneapolis, MN)
– Summit Elementary School (La Crosse, WI)
– Longfellow Middle School (La Crosse, WI)
– Hurly School District (Hurly, WI)
– St. Margaret Mary Catholic School (Neenah, WI)
– Marengo Valley Elementary School (Ashland, WI)
– Washburn School District (Washburn, WI)
– Kettle Moraine School District (Wales, WI)
– Three Lakes School District (Three Lakes, WI)
– St. Marcus Lutheran School (Milwaukee, WI)
– Madison Waldorf School (Madison, WI)
– Holy Hills Ski Club
– VASA Ski Club (Traverse City, MI)
– Wakefield Elementary School (Wakefield, MI)
– Superior Hills Elementary (Marquette, MI)
– Houghton Elementary School (Houghton, MI)
With questions about the program, please reach out to Bruce Manske, CXC Olympic Community Development Program Director.