We hope you, our membership, are staying warm during this holiday deep freeze and still able to enjoy some skiing. Hopefully, we will see above 0 temps for a whole day and night soon. For those of you not living in International Falls, MN take solace in the relative warmth you have. Let’s hope the New Year brings us fantastic skiing conditions in all corners of our region from Pennsylvania to the Dakotas.
Supporters, Parents and Spectators
We would like to remind you that at ski races the courses are usually closed to you skiing on them while the races are going on. Please respect the training each of the racers has put in to prepare for race day and refrain from skiing on the courses while the race is in progress. Being on foot to the side of the race course encouraging racers is welcome by all. Bring all the cowbells you want. Celebrate the race!!! Do it right.
Two really important reminders for you:
- Do not skate ski on a classic race trail with “best line tracks”. Each race organization who prepares “best line tracks” has taken significant time to groom the race trails to give the racers a quality track, skating, even carefully over the course degrades the tracks.
- Do not ski backwards on a race trail. Those racing should not have to dodge spectators skiing at them. Follow these two reminders and we should have better competition conditions.
For those of you supporting our athletes, a huge thank you to you!!! As you are cheering, remember what the race is about, the racers on the course challenging themselves. If you remember these things, it will help our race organizers give spectators more freedom to access the courses to cheer and reduce the need to tightly control race courses with a high security presence.
MASTERS WORLD CUP
The World Masters, MWC2018 is coming to the the USA and the Central Region. For those of you over 30, this is a great chance to challenge yourself while having a great time in the Twin Cities in less than a month.
Here is some more information about the opportunity:
- This the first Masters World Cup to be held in the USA since 2008, and it’ll be probably another decade before it returns.
- Registation is open only until January 6. http://www.loppet.org/mwc2018/register/
- There is NO qualification process. The only requirement is joining American XC Skiers (via xcskiworld.com which will provide benefits every master skier will enjoy all the way until Fall 2018 (so it’s a killer deal!).
- Yes, there really are ALL abilities of skiers doing the MWC just like the Birkie. Everyone really is welcome.
- You can register for any three races offered for your age/gender group. Some folks can do a full slate in just 2 days!
- For serious racers, you simply can’t claim you’ve done it all in XC skiing until you’ve been part of Masters World Cup events. Unlike the Birkie or other Midwest marathons, this is going toe-to-toe with just the best guys nationally and internationally in your age group.
- For casual skiers, the MWC offers a chance to be part of a big international celebration without hassles. The starts are civilized, you meet skiers just like yourself from around the world, the distances give you lots of different experiences. You will be amazed how much fun this will be!
CXC MARATHON CUP SERIES
Besides Masters World Cup, get fired up and challenge yourself to a few CXC Marathon Cup races, or all 6.
The CXC Marathon Cup starts Jan 13th at the Seeley Hills Classic, continues with the Noquemanon Jan 27th, the City of Lakes Skate Loppet Feb 4th on Super Bowl weekend, the Mora Vasaloppet Feb. 10th, the Birkie Feb 24th, and culminates at the Great Bear Chase Mar 10.
If you make it to a CXC Marathon Cup Race, do not hesitate to say hello to the CXC staff on site. If you want to join a training group, the CXC Masters Team still has openings.