Announcing our Virtual Summer Rollerski Challenge!
Starting today and ending on Labor Day (September 7th) our virtual race will take participants from the Michigan Tech Nordic Training Center in Houghton, MI via the Birkie course ending at Theodore Wirth Park in the Twin Cities.
Entry is open to all. We will be focusing on the completion of each leg, rather than times, to encourage skiers of all levels to participate.
All participants who complete each leg of the race will be entered into a prize raffle to win one of our Prizes. Prizes include CXC swag apparel, CXC ski bags and a free American Birkebeiner race entry!
* Prize winners will be announced a few days after each leg closes.
In addition, Swenor is excited to partner with CXC in the CXC Rollerski Challenge with limited edition rollerskis. Grand prize, for those completing all 5 legs will be a Swenor Skate Special Edition Pink.
The goal of our competition is to ski a route equal to the total distance of each leg by dong various local routes. We would like to encourage you to be active, engage with the cross country ski community, and, most importantly, have fun!
HOW TO COMPETE:
Being a virtual race you’ll ski the cumulative distance for each leg. Once you’ve completed the required km’s for each leg fill out our online Wufoo Form. You’ll be asked to email or upload screenshots from your workout app to prove you’ve completed the required kilometers in the correct date window:
LEG 1 / 175km / June 1st – 28th
Michigan Tech Nordic Training Center in Houghton, MI to Gogebic Community College in Ironwood, MI
LEG 2 / 108km / Jun 29th – Jul 12th
Gogebic Community College in Ironwood, MI to Birkie Race Start Area
LEG 3 / 55km / Jul 13 – Jul 19th
Birkie Classic Course
LEG 4 / 196km / Jul 20 – Aug 30
Haward, WI to Afton, MN
LEG 5 / 53 km / Aug 31 – Sep 7th
Afton, MN to Theodore Wirth Park, MN
Our virtual course highlights that the Central region will be hosting both the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Cross Country Championships (“Senior Nats”) and the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Junior National Cross Country Championships (“Junior Nats”). The Senior Nats will take place at the Michigan Tech Nordic Training Center in early January and the Junior Nats will take place at Wirth Park in mid-March. Each of these sites will also host the start and finish of our CXC Cup series respectively. As we travel from Houghton to Minneapolis, we will travel to other significant regional hosts this year.
Virtual Summer Rollerski Challenge will include 5 legs:
- The starting point, the Michigan Tech Nordic Training Center will host both the Senior Nats and our opening CXC Cup Super JNQ event in mid-December.
- The first waypoint is Gogebic Community College in Ironwood, MI, plays host to our Regional Elite Group Camp in the summer.
- The second waypoint is the Birkie start, which not only plays host to the start of the American Birkibeiner, it also plays host to a CXC Cup Super JNQ in mid-January.
- The third waypoint is the Birkie finish on Main Street in Hayward.
- The fourth waypoint is Afton, MN home to a Twin Cities skier/s right of passage the Afton Coulee Roller Ski Hill Climb and Olympic Gold Medalist Jessie Diggins.
- The final waypoint and virtual finish line will be Wirth Park, which will host the Junior Nats and our finale CXC Cup Super JNQ event in mid-February. Travel our virtual course from these important venues with us throughout the summer!
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org