We hope everybody had a safe and happy Thanksgiving holiday.
As you know Minnesota and Michigan paused athletics through Mid December, requiring the postponement of the two December Salomon CXC Cup events.
Based upon feedback from our Jr Coaches Leadership Council and our race organizers, looking at venue availability, we are hoping we are able to cross state borders without quarantine recommendations and race in some way shape or form for the Salomon CXC Cup come January.
Our tentative plan for moving forward is as follows:
Dec 15-20 CXC Cup Virtual Race Opportunity on your home course (details to come)
Jan 2-3 CXC Super Cup Holiday Champs @ Tech/Houghton
Jan 9-10 Open as placeholder alternative event to CXC Super Cup Holiday Championships if MI pause is extended through New Years Day making the weekend of Jan 2/3 unviable.
Jan 16-17 CXC Super Cup Githci Gami Games @ Birkie/Cable
Jan 23-24 CXC Super Cup @ GANC/Duluth
Jan 30-31 Open (Traverse City GLD JR Cup Venue Permit was pulled for January, may be open to hosting March 13-14)
Feb 6-7 Open (WI State Meet Weekend)
Feb 13-14 Open (MI State Meet, MN Section Meets were at one point somewhere in here before or after – MSHSL season is on pause as well – Champs dates TBD)
Feb 20-21 CXC Super Cup Mayor’s Challenge @ Wirth/Minneapolis
Feb 24-28 Birkie Week (CXC Youth Cup Jr Birkie is Friday)
Feb 6-7 Open (WI State Sprint Meet Weekend)
Feb 13-14 Open (MI State Meet, WI State Distance Meet, MN Section Meets were at one point somewhere in here before or after – MSHSL season is on pause as well – Champs dates TBD)
Mar 20-21 Open as placeholder to replace an event that may need to be postponed
Mar 27-28 Open as placeholder to replace an event that may need to be postponed
This is a tentative plan. Formats and dates are moving targets and may change from this plan.
For each race weekend, we are hoping to have a good idea that the race is viable 2 weeks out from the event and that the week leading up to it will be run on a schedule similar to what each of us is familiar with – registration closing on Tuesday @ 11:59pm CST, Entry Lists posted Thursday, Course Inspection on Friday, Racing Sat/Sun. We will have another update on the Jan 2-3 Houghton Races on Dec. 21, after the current MI Governor’s order expires or is extended Dec. 20.
Let’s hope for the chance to see each other this winter while racing and maintaining physical distancing.
Keep a positive attitude, train well, be calm – follow the carpenter’s adage “measure twice, cut once”, and have a great December with some virtual competition!
Joe Haggenmiller | CXC Director of Sport Development