Points are updated in our new portal and we are racing this weekend at the Gitchi Gami Games in Cable, WI.
We are excited to announce more details for the Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan Skiwerx Series.
The Skiwerx Series are local networks of quality youth events to introduce friendly and appropriate formats and race experiences for the U10, U12 and U14 age groups. The Minnesota Skiwerx Series is going into its seventh season.
We introduced a Wisconsin Skiwerx Series last year and we are now adding Michigan. Click here to learn more!
” We are very happy to finally execute our long-term plan of multiple Skiwerx Series in the Central Region. We want to introduce kids to the sport of cross country skiing in the most developmentally appropriate way possible and the local Skiwerx Series allows us to do that across the region. The Skiwerx Series is the first step for most young skiers before they start traveling regionally for the CXC Youth Cup “
– Amy Cichanowski, MyXC Executive Director
CXC Youth Cup Race Series: Gitchi Gami Games
The Birkie is excited to be hosting the next event on the schedule. If you are 10-13 years old, this exciting and fun race series is for you!
Registration for all age groups will close Tuesday, January 16 at 11:59pm.
Gitchi Gami Games
Cable (WI) / January 20-21
Developed in cooperation with the Minnesota Youth Ski League and the Midwest cross country ski coaches, the CXC Youth Cup started in the winter of 2015 to promote the growth and development of junior cross country ski racers, and to expose young athletes to the fundamental building blocks required for cross-country ski racing.
We hope you, our membership, are staying warm during this holiday deep freeze and still able to enjoy some skiing. Hopefully, we will see above 0 temps for a whole day and night soon. For those of you not living in International Falls, MN take solace in the relative warmth you have. Let’s hope the New Year brings us fantastic skiing conditions in all corners of our region from Pennsylvania to the Dakotas.
Supporters, Parents and Spectators
We would like to remind you that at ski races the courses are usually closed to you skiing on them while the races are going on. Please respect the training each of the racers has put in to prepare for race day and refrain from skiing on the courses while the race is in progress. Being on foot to the side of the race course encouraging racers is welcome by all. Bring all the cowbells you want. Celebrate the race!!! Do it right.
Two really important reminders for you:
- Do not skate ski on a classic race trail with “best line tracks”. Each race organization who prepares “best line tracks” has taken significant time to groom the race trails to give the racers a quality track, skating, even carefully over the course degrades the tracks.
- Do not ski backwards on a race trail. Those racing should not have to dodge spectators skiing at them. Follow these two reminders and we should have better competition conditions.
For those of you supporting our athletes, a huge thank you to you!!! As you are cheering, remember what the race is about, the racers on the course challenging themselves. If you remember these things, it will help our race organizers give spectators more freedom to access the courses to cheer and reduce the need to tightly control race courses with a high security presence.
MASTERS WORLD CUP
The World Masters, MWC2018 is coming to the the USA and the Central Region. For those of you over 30, this is a great chance to challenge yourself while having a great time in the Twin Cities in less than a month.
Here is some more information about the opportunity:
- This the first Masters World Cup to be held in the USA since 2008, and it’ll be probably another decade before it returns.
- Registation is open only until January 6. http://www.loppet.org/mwc2018/register/
- There is NO qualification process. The only requirement is joining American XC Skiers (via xcskiworld.com which will provide benefits every master skier will enjoy all the way until Fall 2018 (so it’s a killer deal!).
- Yes, there really are ALL abilities of skiers doing the MWC just like the Birkie. Everyone really is welcome.
- You can register for any three races offered for your age/gender group. Some folks can do a full slate in just 2 days!
- For serious racers, you simply can’t claim you’ve done it all in XC skiing until you’ve been part of Masters World Cup events. Unlike the Birkie or other Midwest marathons, this is going toe-to-toe with just the best guys nationally and internationally in your age group.
- For casual skiers, the MWC offers a chance to be part of a big international celebration without hassles. The starts are civilized, you meet skiers just like yourself from around the world, the distances give you lots of different experiences. You will be amazed how much fun this will be!
CXC MARATHON CUP SERIES
Besides Masters World Cup, get fired up and challenge yourself to a few CXC Marathon Cup races, or all 6.
The CXC Marathon Cup starts Jan 13th at the Seeley Hills Classic, continues with the Noquemanon Jan 27th, the City of Lakes Skate Loppet Feb 4th on Super Bowl weekend, the Mora Vasaloppet Feb. 10th, the Birkie Feb 24th, and culminates at the Great Bear Chase Mar 10.
If you make it to a CXC Marathon Cup Race, do not hesitate to say hello to the CXC staff on site. If you want to join a training group, the CXC Masters Team still has openings.
The Midwest Executive Committee wishes to thank everyone for their applications and interest in the Midwest Team and NENSA U16 trips. The following coaches have been named to the 2018 Junior National and NENSA U16 trip staffs.
2018 Junior Nationals
March 3-11 / Soldier Hollow, Midway (UT)
Piotr Bednarski – Head Coach, Loppet Nordic Racing
Chris Harvey – Trip Leader, Loppet Nordic Racing
Liz Peterson – Head Glide Wax, Endurance United
Scott Putman – Head Kick Wax, Ashwaubenon Nordic Ski Team
Kim Rudd – Loppet Nordic Racing / Armstrong High School
Julia Curry – Age Group Coach, Loppet Nordic Racing
Ted Theyerl – Age Group Coach, Chippewa Valley Nordic
Deno Johnson – Age Group Coach, Nordicwerks
Andrew Joda – Wax Tech, Loppet Nordic Racing
Thomas Kendrick – Wax Tech, MYSL/Skiwerx
Elizabeth Smith – Physical Therapist
Joe Haggenmiller – Central Cross Country Skiing
2018 NENSA U16 Championships
March 8-11 / Gore Mountain, North Creek (NY)
Kris Hanson – Trip Leader, 4591 Sports Development
Bjorn Hanson – 4591 Sports Development
Charil Reis – Rhinelander Nordic
CXC’s last Open Technique Camp of 2017 for master skiers is coming up in just a little over a week! The CXC New Year’s Training Camp is open to skiers of all levels, from beginners to advanced.
Participants will be divided in small groups based on their level to provide adequate personal attention.
CABLE (WI) / December 29-31 / View Schedule
December 27 & 28, 2017
The goal of this clinic is to introduce those that are interested in Paralympic Adaptive Cross Country skiing and provide an opportunity to try out equipment, ski with other adaptive athletes and learn about more opportunities to enjoy this awesome sport, and, of course, to have fun!
- Lunch is included
- Free hat for all volunteers and participants
- We will provide equipment – but if you have your own please bring it.
Any interested person in Paralympic sit, standing or visually impaired cross country skiing. ALL ages welcome!
Hyland Park Visitor’s Center – Jan’s building; 10145 Bush Lake Rd. Bloomington, MN 55438. NOTE: we will be based out of Jan’s building, located in the back parking lot of the visitor’s center.
Because haven’t you always wanted to learn how to cross country ski? This a perfect opportunity to try it out!
There is NO cost to this clinic, but it is requested that you register ahead of time so we can be sure to have enough volunteers and equipment for everyone.
Register here: https://www.zapevent.com/reg/personalinfo/15265
BethAnn Chamberlain with any questions: Bethann.email@example.com ; 720-627-9290
Please contact BethAnn if you are interested in helping out at this event.
Welcome to Winter, and a busy DECEMBER,
December 16 / Ice Age Nordic 6k Skate / Lodi Golf Course ski trail
MS & HS Races – Start at 10:30 AM
Contact: Dale Fanney, firstname.lastname@example.org
December 19 / Lakeland Invitational / Minocqua Winter Park
Freestyle: 4k high school + 2k middle school
Contact: Ken Schoville, email@example.com
December 28-30 / Houghton Christmas Ski Camp / hosted by the Ski Tigers
For more info: Mike Young, firstname.lastname@example.org
AND then, the December Camp is planned for the Telemark Condos: December 27-31, 2017 — this camp includes TWO races!
Registration is open online: http://cxcskiing.org/pages/events/camps/cxc-training-camps.html#JuniorCampSeriesFall